Monday, October 18, 2010

triangle exchange

Last week I received my half triangles squares from the Friendship Triangle exchange hosted by my local quilt shop. This was paper pieced. There was a meeting at the quilt shop for inspiration, questions and assembly ideas. Of course, the book is fabulous but it was a tight budget this week. Mom went and participated in the exchange and bought the book, yes!  I can borrow it when I need it. Here are my 380 blocks, free of paper and ironed:


 Here are several ideas for layouts,  my first idea:
 then this one:
 more:



I think I will do this last one pictured below. It is on the cover of the book Friendship Triangles. It is a continuous square and uses over 400 of the squares plus setting triangles.


It is my favorite!I was afraid of the idea of mixing all the colors and different prints. But now that I see them together and what the shop owner has done, I am not afraid anymore. I am getting over my fear/dislike of batiks.

17 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I still have triangles for our exchange earlier this year. Thank you for the reminder (and inspiration) that I need to find mine.

Chris said...

I love the first and the last. It is going to be a sweet quilt.

Diane said...

nothing like stepping out of the comfort zone to help us grow as quilters- that's gonna be a great quilt---I hope you show update pictures in the future!

Kate said...

No matter which setting you pick, it will be a wonderful scrappy quilt.

Mary said...

I also have a tub of hst from a recent exchange. I'll be interested to see how you progress. I guess I better get busy and remove paper and press mine as well.

Tamera said...

It's amazing what you can do with just HST!

Quilter Kathy said...

I like them all, but I think the design with the star in the centre is my favorite. Have a great time playing with the blocks!

Teaquilts said...

I love your site. You have fun playing with different setting options using the actual fabrics. I only get to do that in Electric Quilt. So much better seeing the layouts in fabric. I like all the ideas you showed.

Judy D in WA said...

Love them all....these jump right out at my scrappy loving heart! Have fun and whichever you decide to use will be fabulous!

Jennifer Woo said...

Love the last one. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Charlene S said...

All your designs are great. Scrappy is hard for me since I like controlled color. But if you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got. So you have to experiment sometimes.

AnnieO said...

So, so many ways to play with these! I have some leftover triangle squares from a project and your ideas are great inspiration. I never liked batiks either until I bought a kit to make a quilt for my niece and then I fell in love with all the colors.

Brenda said...

I have always LOVED baticks and that can be a problem too!! I love scrappy, so this is going to be just a fun project to do!! (funny how all those mis-matched colours just seem to get along isn't it!) I am going to have to go check out the book now..... that is alwasy fun!! Thanks!!!

Unknown said...

What a great idea. I really like the design you have chosen!

Susan said...

All of the layouts are winners but I do like your last one best.

What a delightful project to be working on.............

Barb in Mi said...

All your lay-outs are amazing! It is going to be a fantastic quilt!

Laurie said...

I love the triangles!