Monday, September 27, 2010

Something new today

This weekend was raining on Saturday. Here is the only photo I took. I was in the back being chauffered by the guys. We picked apples in between rain clouds. We went shopping and yes I made it to the fabric store.


Here is the EQ6 drawing of this next quilt.As you can tell I couldn't find an orange I liked as in  the draft. Love the blocks pictured, they are 6 inches and paper pieced. The lime green inspiration fabric will be the background fabric for setting the blocks on the diagonal.

While we were shopping, I saw something very interesting that really made me think. There was a young high school girl dressed in her homecoming formal. Cute little dress with matching shoes and adorable little bag. Her hair was done and she was walking alone through the mall. I saw her taking pictures of herself near poster of famous people, and saying "Hi" to her classmates still in the mall. She caught up with her family at the food court, most likely an older sister pushing a stroller with a baby in it. The girl was obviously alone and going to homecoming by herself.

I thought, now that takes guts. I never would have had the nerve with all eyes on me in that busy place to pull it off. Not at 15 or even now at 44. I should have stopped and told her "rock on" or "you go girl!" but I just smiled a knowing smile of someone who walked in that very same mall looking at dresses, and never went to a prom (or homecoming that is now a fall prom here) because I didn't have the guts to do it alone! Go Girl, hope you had a great time.  

6 comments:

Mary said...

I love the paper-pieced blocks...and I hope the girl in the mall had a wonderful time, too. With that kind of courage don't you know she will grow into an exceptional woman.

Jo said...

THANKFULLY when I was growing up, homecoming wasn't a fancy dress and date event.... Prom yes, homecoming no. It is great to see gals who aren't afraid to try. It's a lesson I still sometimes need as an adult!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow..those blocks are small! You can't really tell the size from the photo, but they must be very tricky to sew!

Teaquilts said...

Pretty blocks and I like the setting fabric too.

Kate said...

Love your blocks and the green for the setting triangles.

I've noticed a trend in our small community, a lot of the girls band together and go as a group, with no dates. From what I undestand of the parents who have high school age kids, that's a pretty standard practice here. I think that is great, why have to depend on someone to ask you?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like the fabrics... Karen