Friday, January 28, 2011

Happiness

I have been thinking about what happiness is recently. I usually do this often, but starting a new year brings it to the forefront of my mind.

I have been reading info at the Happiness Project and have found it interesting. I realized many years ago that Happiness is a choice, a state of mind, a process. It isn't a place, like in the picture above that makes me happy. You know, a destination that you need to arrive to.

It is doing things that you enjoy... so here is a small list of silly things, and some more serious ones,  that I enjoy


playing Irish Jigs, folk tunes and RenFest songs on my violin
making quilts
knitting, crochet, and tatting
taking a car ride to enjoy the scenery
learning about history and visiting those places on vacation
singing silly songs
wearing jeans to work on Friday
listening to traditional celtic music as well as celtic punk

Spending time with my family
reading poetry
reading the Bible
praying

I think I will spend more time doing those things. Not the "shoulda" list. You know like playing scales for hours not the fun stuff on the voilin. Making simple yet powerful quilts. Creating things in the "old" way, by hand to connect with art and the creative process. Laughing with family. I still need to clean my closets but it isn't going to be all of my free time!

And much more time on my spiritual walk. Maybe that's the closet that needs the most attention...

No comments: