Friday, March 19, 2010

Questions

I wanted to know what other quilters and long arm quilters are using:

-What is your favorite thread to sew with? To long arm quilt with?

-Is there a good reason to use cotton thread or polyester thread? Or is it project dependent?

-Has anyone bought fabrics from Connecting Threads? I have felt it but how does it sew up?

Love to hear what everyone thinks!!So far I am using all types of thread and haven't determined if I have a favorite. I like to sew with Coats and Clark. I have used Superior and King Tut but haven't seen the benefit of the price tag. I have some Madera samples to try and I will check that out this weekend.

For Long arm quilting I have used So Fine and it seems to be working now that I have called up the teacher to ask why my thread was breaking. She gave me some tips that seem to be working for far on my project-change needle, set the thread in tension discs and slightly rotate needle to the right. I love YLI's varigated quilting thread but it is EXPENSIVE!!

Thanks all



6 comments:

Brenda said...

Cannot help you with the thread because I have not tried enough different kinds. I am going to be up your way today through the weekend. Going to the quilt shop hop with friends and we are going to be staying in one of their cottages in Baldwin!

Conni said...

I've used Connecting Threads fabrics and thread (for machine sewing). Both are fine. For the long arm, you will want a variety of threads for different types of fabrics and battings. And it seems that some brands of long arms are more partial to thread brands, too!! LOL!!! My sister has a Gammill, and she uses different threads for different fabrics, batting, and design. You will just have to give them all a try! I know some are more expensive than others, but sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Micki said...

I love Superior Thread...it is so good!
Micki

Katie Z. said...

I use Coats and Clark cotton but am not a long armer. I've had bad experiences with Connecting Threads thread - some spools are wonderful, and some break every few inches, whether hand or machine quilting. Their fabric is very soft, but several of my pieces had selvages so wide I had less than 40" of useable fabric. It's pretty stuff though - you just need to buy extra.

DeeDee said...

I use King Tut in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin - works perfectly for my long arm - I don't change threads because I don't want to have to mess with the tension.

I bought some pre-cuts from Connecting Threads and found that the cuts weren't perfect - charms weren't just a tad smaller than 5 inches.

Vicki H. said...

I am thinking that after making adjustments in the long arm the So fine superior thread looks good. I still use others in my regular sewing but I am having fun with the experiments!