Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Opportunities

I have been thinking about how to help others more. I feel that there are so many ways I do help day to day. There may be ways I can help others more through volunteering or making charity quilts. It has been brought to my attention, through personal observation and study, at how many humans are so inherently focused on self that we just don't think about others.




I mean even in the little things that people say. One is belief I have heard recently is that the earth was created for "you." Hmmm, really? I don't think so. I believe the earth was created because the creator wanted humans to be reminded of His greatness. It was created not by the motivation that it was for ME but for the creator ultimately.



Or all of the times people are so caught up what is going on in their lives that they don't even see opportunities available. They say silly things that are thoughtless and hurtful. A recent interaction I had was at the gym. The person hasn't seen me or my husband in a long time. DH has done very well and lost 100 pounds. I have lost 50. The person said, "I see that your husband has finally got you to come to the gym because your here working out today." I felt as if I needed to justify why I am still overweight to him. And in reality I have been working out a year or two longer than DH.



So my goals this year are to be more observant in helping others. I have been reading the happiness project and it has some good advice. An area that is addressed in the past week was taking criticism more constructively. So the above conversation at the gym I was taking as a criticism. I had to reposition it in my mind the thoughtlessness. Another area for happiness is to become more spiritually focused. I have been studying the Bible more and doing more praying. Now to be more active.



The next piece of advice was to de-clutter your home as it adds to overall stress. I am doing that one drawer and shelf at a time. I plan to post monthly my room by room progress. March first is nearly here!



I am also working on balancing my work with exercise, eating right and pursuing creative endeavors. I am also giving my self permission to take time for myself to do "play." I feel that is the hardest. I am motivated by productivity, schedules and projects.



Ideas for volunteering out there? Quilt opportunities?





2 comments:

Conni said...

Great thoughts, Vicki! You might consider Project Linus or Quilts of Valor for ways to volunteer and help others through quilting. Also, local homeless shelters, womens shelters, and crisis pregnancy centers could sure use someone like you to help out! Just a few ideas. Let us (your readers) know what you decide. You just may inspire someone else to get involved, too.

Quiltsmiles said...

Nice thoughts, sending {{{hugs}}} your way.
Your interpretation of the "friend's" comment could also be seen as this person actually lives that type of lifestyle. So instead of internalizing it on yourself, send a prayer in their direction so they don't need to fill someone else's expectations since that is how they think and it could be their reality.
Twist it around nicely, send a positive thought(prayer) and I believe by doing this it will make this world a better place. Much better than being hurt by mis-spoken words. Personally, I think you are doing great! Keep up the great work.
JAne