Thursday, September 15, 2011

Simple Living

I have been using the following
recipe for making my own laundry soap. HOWEVER
I have found to address work out gear and gym clothes,  I needed 1/2 bar of Fels Naptha, 1 cup of both Borax and washing soada and 2 more cups of water to dissolve it all.
 
 
 
1/3 bar of Fels Naptha soap (5.5 oz bar just like grandma used to get grass stains off my brothers baseball pants!)

1/2 cup of borax powder

1/2 cup of WASHING soda (NOT Baking soda big difference!)

1 tablespoon of essential oil (optional- I did 't use)

2 one gallon jugs (white vinegar jugs or old detergent jugs)

Grate the soap and put it in a large saucepan with 6 cups of water over medium heat. Heat the mixture until the soap melts.
Add the washing soda, borax, essential oil if desired
Stir constantly until all has dissolved. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Using a funnel put half of the mixture in each one gallon jug. Fill each jug halfway with hot water and shake well. Continue to fill the jug to the top with hot water. Shake again, then put aside for 24 hours. This gels up and looks like egg whites.
Use 1/2 to 2/3 cup per load.


Part of simple living. This saves money, uses less ingredients that are bad for the environment and people and I like it better than premade laundry soap from the store.

I use the washing soada and borax to clean up too. I check out the Old Farmer's Almanac periodically for simple living ideas.




No comments: