Thursday, January 5, 2012

Simple Living

“We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.” Dave Ramsey

I have been thinking about materialism lately and I listen to Dave Ramsey's radio show often. This quote really speaks to me. I guess all of the shopping over the holidays brings it to the forefront. I do not pursue acquiring and collecting material things any more. I used to collect things like depression era glass, teddy bears and porcelain dolls. Then I had everything in the collection. Then I ran out of space to hold all of it. I still have these collections for the sentimental value and I get a few items out at a time for display.

The last major purchases needed,  we chose to buy "lightly used" or at the scratch and dent or on a really big sale. I never pay full price, ever. We live in a small house that we can maintain. It is well under what "they" said we could afford. I try to buy only what is needed at the time. We don't have tons of clothes or shoes or stuff. Most things in our home is lightly used when acquired.

That being said I am facing putting away the gifts under the tree. I am going to get rid of things that are not needed any more to make room for the new items. One of my rules is to limit the space it takes to house items and when the space is full a serious evaluation of what is there must be completed.

All that said, I get asked about my fabric and yarn stash. I do have one. It is mostly things gifted to me or scraps left from other projects. I limit it to one tote and a basket of what I am working on right now. I purge it annually and that needs to happen by the end of February. I am purchasing everything on sale and only buy what I need at the moment I need it.

That makes things Simple and low stress. 

Have a happy simple day.

Simple living tip: I get free samples of beauty supplies often in the mail, from my Mary Kay lady etc. I save these up and do a "makeover day" and use up all the samples for a special spa day for myself, and it didn't cost any money.

No comments: